If you're anything like us, you're still trying to pack away holiday decorations, but the super cold temps over the last week have us looking forward to some sunnier days and brighter decor. I mean, we don't even own coats in TX that are capable of keeping you warm in 15 degree weather. This little bit of time after the holidays, and before Spring hits in full force is the perfect time to start thinking of ways to lighten things up for the warmer seasons, and we're sharing some of our very favorite ideas to help with that!
1. Classic prints never go away for a reason, and we love that Buffalo Check is the classic having its moment in the spotlight right now. We're fans of this print on just about anything, and it feels crisp and fresh after the heavier plaids that tend to dominate in fall and winter. Go bold by showcasing it on an upholstered headboard in a kid's room, or re-covering a flea market find chair in it. Use it on a smaller scale with blankets, linens or throw pillows. We love the color combo of this one from Target.
2. Vintage rugs are one of our love-languages. They are swoon-worthy, but usually a splurge...and we're crushing hard on this one we stumbled across at Rejuvenation. We love that there is nothing trendy or "of the moment" about a high quality classic rug, but also know that this isn't a realistic purchase for everyone. To get a similar look in a more budget-friendly option that you aren't scared to let your friends drink red wine around, check out Safavieh's Vintage line on Overstock.
3. Natural Elements are something we try to incorporate into every home. Don't let the fact that they can feel too theme-y if overused keep you from finding a few you love. Little bits of natural wood, a coral piece in a fun pop of color, seasonal greenery, etc are some of our go-to's for a finishing layer when styling a room. This little beauty is from Amazon, but these fun elements are things we always love to snag at flea markets, junk shows, and antique shops any time we can.
4. Lafco Sea and Dune Candle...the only way to describe this scent is perfection. All of Lafco's scents are sensory stunners, and their jars are beautiful (hang on to them after your candle is gone to use as a vase for your favorite spring blooms). We especially love them for their clean burn and soy wax infused with essential oils.
5. Wallpaper isn't going anywhere any time soon, and we love it in unexpected places. If you're on the fence about committing to wallpaper, chose a small space...a powder bath, nursery or accent wall, and look for a no-fail pattern with twist. The Watercolor Dots print from Wallpaperie on Etsy is one that caught our eye. Stay tuned to see how we used this paper for a recent project!
6. We all know art is subjective, and is such a personal preference. When looking to incorporate art into a client's space, we always ask what types they gravitate towards to determine if we source out something fun, or have something commissioned. We have some go-to's for mass produced art as well, and love Minted for featuring an array of artists. The Pedernales print by Kaitlin Rebesco is a gorgeous pick!
7. In addition to vintage rugs, we might have a thing for elaborate and ornate mirrors. We love to use these in a clean, modern space for a cool juxtaposition. But they are just as beautiful over a vintage buffet for an elegant farmhouse feel. The Beaudry Mirror from Ballard Designs is gorgeous without being over the top.
8. We tend to mix metals throughout houses to keep things interesting. Your door hardware, drawer pulls, light fixtures, plumbing, and mirror frames don't have to be the same finish. Try adding a brushed metal, like the Rochester pendant from Lumens in a kitchen where you've used gold hardware or matte black faucets.
Are you inspired and ready for a refresh? Let us know how we can help!